Call us on: 02380 643 667

Planning and Building Regs

A guide to what we can build for you within Permitted Development

Planning permission is not always required. Many buildings can be constructed under Permitted Development. The basic guidelines of Permitted Development are:

  • the ridge height of the proposed building must be below 4 metres
  • the proposed building must be 2 metres from a boundary
  • the proposed building is not forward of the principle elevation of your property
  • the proposed building is constructed within your garden curtilage and does not exceed 50% of this land
  • permitted development rights exist on your property

If your property is listed, in an area of outstanding natural beauty or an area of special scientific interest (SSI) then it is usually still possible to build within Permitted Development, but there are more restrictions. You can read an extract from the planning guidance documents for outbuildings here.

Whilst we can offer advice based on our knowledge and experience of working with local authorities, it is always best to check with your local planning department.

Let us take care of your planning application

Should you need to make a planning application, we can deal with this for you. We have an architect who will liaise with the Council or, if you prefer, we can work with your own architect.

Building regulations application

Once planning permission has been granted, order your frame. If your proposed building has any of the following, you will require a Building Regulations application:

  • over 30 square metres of useable internal floor space
  • is close to a boundary
  • is attached to an existing building
  • has a first floor

We offer a full Building Regulation service, providing all of the required drawings, structural calculations, and submission of a full application, usually through the Building Control Partnership Scheme. This means that regardless of where you are located in the UK, the application will go through Winchester City Council (our local authority) on your behalf. We then liaise with your local authority for the required on-site visits. This has proven to be a very quick, reliable and cost effective service.